A closet readers take on: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, Romance, Erotica, YA Fiction & Audiobooks

Friday, January 2, 2015

Best of 2014 - Narrator's Edition (Part 2)





I have gotten together with a few of my favorite narrators to talk about the their favorite audiobooks of 2014!  In Part 2 of my Best of 2014 - Narrator's Edition, I've asked Tavia Gilbert, Cynthia Holloway, Kate Rudd, Anne Flosnik, Xe Sands, Christina Delaine, R.C. Bray, Jeffrey Kafer, and Peter Berkrot about their favorite audiobooks that they have listened to in 2014.

See Part 1 Here








Name:  Tavia Gilbert
Blog Address:  taviagilbert.com/talkbox 

Twitter Handle:  @taviagilbert






 Top Audiobooks of 2014

#1 The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, narrated by Caroline Lee, contemporary fiction: Caroline Lee was my happiest narration discovery of 2015. The team of Moriarty — a fine, compelling, addictive writer — and Lee — a soulful, humorous, talented reader — can’t be beat!

#2 The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey, narrated by Finty Williams, science fiction: Finty Williams is an outstanding narrator, and I adored the post-apocalyptic story of Carey’s. I think it’s the perfect listen — smart, heart-breaking, shocking, and thought-provoking.

#3 Yes, Please by Amy Poehler, narrated by Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers, Patrick Stewart, Carol Burnett, Mike Schur, Eileen & William Poehler, and Kathleen Turner: Amy Poehler is a smart girl, and one I’d love to be friends with. Yes Please is a delightful listen — inspiring, humbling, wise, playful, sensitive, unabashed, and heart-felt. I loved it.

#4 The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman, narrated by George Guidall and Suzanne Toren: This is an incredible story of survival and love, masterfully told by two expert narrators. I was moved to tears many times throughout this audiobook, and think it was perfectly cast. George and Suzanne teach me the craft of narration through their unparalleled example of the art of audiobook storytelling. 

#5 The Actual and Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher, by Jessica Lawson, narrated by…me! I have to recommend this wonderful story, a reimagining of Twain’s Tom Sawyer that will appeal to listeners young and old alike. I fell in love with the character and the story, and was delighted to be Jessica’s voice — and Becky’s!


  Favorite Audiobook Cover for 2014
  

 All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr, narrated by Zach Appleton. This audiobook cover is exquisite, not only because of the gorgeous, evocative photo and color, but because it highlights the narrator in a way that is extremely rare for the audiobook industry. The cover makes clear that the voice telling the story is integral to the audio experience. The narrator is no afterthought or footnote here, and the message this cover sends should be celebrated and exemplified by other publishers.



Favorite Audiobook Series of 2014


The Flavia de Luce mysteries, starting with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley, narrated by Jayne Entwistle: Discovering this wonderful British mystery series was a great gift. Jayne Entwistle completely embodies the unique young heroine, Flavia. I simply cannot get enough of this smart, hilarious, intrepid young woman!



Favorite Narrator of 2014

My favorite narrator for life is Davina Porter. She is the first narrator I ever heard, and she’s magnificent. She voices one of my most beloved series, Alexander McCall Smith’s Sunday Philosophy Club/Isabel Dalhousie mysteries. Her dialogue is so authentic and true-to-life, her narrative voice is present and thoughtful, her accents are beautiful, and her heart is huge. She’s enjoyed renewed attention with the televised series of the Outlander books, which she narrated, and she deserves every bit of acclaim. I owe her a debt of gratitude for planting the seed of passion for audiobooks in my heart. There’s no one who captures my ear quite the way she does.




✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵






Narrator: Cynthia Holloway
Blog Address:
None yet ;)
Twitter Handle: @cynthiaholloway


 


Top Audiobooks of 2014


#1  The Help By Kathryn Stockett Narrated by
Jenna Lamia, Bahni Turpin, Octavia Spencer, Cassandra Campbell
(Fiction). The Help is a beautifully written book with beautiful narration by a few different narrators. The story told by a different narrator/character throughout takes you on a wonderful ride as each narration blends perfectly with the next. This is a must listen if you like this type of fiction.


#2  Secret Life of Bees, Authored by Sue Monk Kidd and narrated by Jenna Lamia, (Fiction). Again a beautiful, soulful story and it’s perfectly cast and narrated by Jenna Lamia.


#3  The Creative Habit, Learn it and Use itfor Life. Written by: Twyla Tharp Narrated by Lauren Fortgang (Self Development). I appreciated this book as it was a practical guide/reminder that it’s important to establish good habits if you want to work in a creative field. The narration is slower paced, but I personally appreciated that fact as it allowed me to more easily take it all in. 


#4 Bossypants Written by Tina Fey, Narrated by Tina Fey (Biography). Tina Fey is a genius at comedy. I love her writing and her delivery in this audiobook is superb. This book will have you laughing throughout, so if you are looking for a listen that you leave you smiling than this is a great choice.  



 Favorite Audiobook Cover for 2014


I usually love covers with lots of colors going on, but my favorite this year is Bossypants- as it’s clean, simple and still very funny.



 Favorite Audiobook Series of 2014



The Harry Potter books are my favorite series so far. Jim Dale does an excellent job narrating so many different characters by giving them each a distinct voice. I recommend this as an excellent listen on a very long road trip, as it’s hard not to ‘binge listen” I drove around the neighborhood just to finish a book! 
   
 

Favorite Narrator of 2014
 
There are so many talented female narrators out there now, but if I have to pick just one for this year, I would have to say that Jenna Lamia is my favorite narrator for 2014. I have been a fan of hers for awhile now and her work is consistently great. She does young voices so well and each read has so much detail and emotion without out being melodramatic. She’s an expert reader, and I look forward to listening to other books narrated by her in 2015.



✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵






Author:  Kate Rudd
Blog Address:  Kate's Blog
Twitter Handle:  @katerudd

  




Top Audiobooks of 2014

#1 Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch, YA fantasy, narrated by me - I love everything about this book.  Meira fights through the pages with grit and humor.  She and the other Winterians struggle to survive and maintain identity amid poverty, cultural oppression, and constant threat of extinction.  I was lucky enough to narrate this one!

#2 The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer, Memoir, narrated by author - I  still can't even talk about this one without crying.  I will say this: I tried to buy a copy to gift to a stranger who could not afford the book.  I was unsuccessful, because so many others were doing the same thing(sending this book to strangers who had asked), the publisher and distribution centers were overwhelmed.  I've never been so happy to NOT be able to buy the book I want.

#3 Crown of Vengeance(The Dragon Prophecy book 1) by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory, Fantasy, narrated by myself and Christopher Lane - This book transported me like few others have.  Vielliessar Farcarinon is quite possibly the fiercest character I've ever met.  Magic, power struggles, war, adventure, political intrigue combine to create a vivid world.

#4 Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf, Fiction, narrated by Tanya Eby and myself - This book kept me up at night.  It tells the story of a compassionate social worker, her family, clients, and a tragic  accident that turns her entire view of the world and herself upside down. 

#5 The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, fiction, narrated by author - I listened to this book alone, in autumn, while painting an empty cabin for a friend.  So creepy. SO CREEPY. Gaiman's voice is perfect.  I can't put my finger on precisely why this story scared the marbles out of me, but it did, and I highly recommend others follow suit.


Favorite Audiobook Cover for 2014



Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch



  Favorite Audiobook Series of 2014

 
The Chronos Files by Rysa Walker



  Favorite Narrator of 2014

I have to go with Pema Chodron, the soft-spoken Buddhist nun whose voice has accompanied me on many commutes, nudged me through some harried and anxious afternoons, lulled me to sleep in the evenings, and even convinced me on a few occasions that washing the dishes can be a tolerable chore.



✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵






Narrator: Anne Flosnik
Website:  AnneFlosnik.com
Twitter Handle:  @AnneFlosnik






Top Audiobooks of 2014

#1   Blood Shadows by Lindsay J Pryor. It was my first introduction to the dark PNR genre, and is gripping storytelling at it's finest. I narrated the first three books in the series back to back, and quite literally devoured them. Beyond excited to see where this series goes, as it intricately interweaves the love stories of four couples who have their work cut out in bringing down the oppressive system that surrounds them. 
#2  Rod: The Autobiography, by Rod Stewart, Non Fiction, expert narration which authentically captures it's subject, performed by Simon Vance.

#3  Birdman, by Mo Hayder narrated by Damien Goodwin, Mystery/ Thriller. Chillingly good introduction to the Jack Caffery books, which deals with some of the most horrifying material I have ever listened to. Exceptional narration - believable and compelling.

#4  Blood At The Root, by Peter Robinson, narrated by James Langton. Mystery/Thriller. Exceptional story telling and narration that feels 100% authentic.

#5  Watching Over You, by Mel Sherratt, an intense, erotic, gritty psychological thriller that was an emotional roller coaster to live through, and act out.



Favorite Audiobook Cover for 2014
Blood Shadows by Lindsay J Pryor


  Favorite Audiobook Series of 2014

The Blackthorn books by Lindsay J Pryor



✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵






Narrator: Xe Sands
Twitter handle:  @xesands






Top Audiobooks of 2014

So boring to talk about myself, so I'm going with my personal favorite listens from 2014, although some titles might have been produced in previous years. 


#1  Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein, narrated by Morven Christie and Lucy Gaskell
The story itself was beautifully woven and absolutely heartrending…but the perfectly matched narration really kicked up the experience, especially of the first part of the book, and increased the emotional connection I felt to the characters.

#2  The Girl with All the Gifts, by M.R. Carey, narrated by Finty Williams
 Sci-Fi. Not my usual genre, but it was recommended to me by a very discerning friend, and she wasn't wrong. TREMENDOUSLY well-told story. Would love to find other contemporary fiction narrated by Finty Williams, who blew me away.
  
#3  Feed, by Mira Grant, narrated by Paul Christensen and Jesse Bernstein
Sci-Fi. Also not my usual thing, but also recommended and although I was pretty angry with how the author chose to resolve the book, it was an exceptionally well-told story, and the narration was spot-on and entirely engaging.

#4 A Monster Calls, by Patrick Ness, narrated by Jason Isaacs
YA Ages 11-13. This was such a heartfelt and beautiful constructed tale of childhood loss, or parental love in the face of illness…and was perfectly capture by Jason Isaacs. Have those tissues out and ready!

#5  Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell, narrated by Rebecca Lowman and Sunil Malhotra
Teens/YA. Oh this book! The story is so heartbreaking and beautifully told AND narrated that I…well, I had to stop listening and simply read about what happened because I quite honestly couldn't take the heartbreak! It really was that compelling and well delivered.



Favorite Audiobook Series of 2014


    I'm not a big series listener, but RIVERS OF LONDON completely captured my attention this year, I binge-listened to books 1-4! Kobna Holbrook-Smith is an amazing narrator.


  
 Favorite Narrator of 2014
  
Oh that is SUCH an impossibly unfair question! I'll go with a new narrator discovery (new to me, that is): Finty Williams. She did an phenomenal job with THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS.



✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵



Twitter: @chrisdelaine






 Top Audiobooks of 2014

#1  Beautiful Ruins byJess Walter narrated by Edoardo Ballerini, Fiction. Ballerini's narration is both sensitive and efficient. His performance never overpowers book, but rather, his subtle and nuanced performance allows the book to reveal itself all its wonderful depth.

#2  Nora Webster by Colm Toibin narrated by Fiona Shaw. Fiona Shaw is just magical, giving a rich, brilliant and understated performance. 

#3  The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman narrated by Neil Gaiman. Neil Gaiman tells his own tale with such palpable fragility and danger. Whether he's writing or narrating, he's truly a master storyteller.



Favorite Audiobook Cover for 2014


The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman


 
Favorite Audiobook Series of 2014
 

My favorite series was the Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry.  Ray Porter takes Maberry's already outstanding thrillers and kicks them up a notch with his outstanding, gritty, adrenaline-charged narration. 



  Favorite Narrator of 2014

Ray Porter consistently delivers exceptional performances. He is a fabulous storyteller and a wonderful actor, with a flair for distinct characterizations and an awesome sense of timing. I was thrilled to discover his work this year and I look forward to hearing more from him.



✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵



  
 

Name:  R.C. Bray
Blog Address:  thefullbray.wordpress.com
Twitter Address:  @RCBray12
 





Top Audiobooks of 2014

 #1 All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque, Narrated by Frank Muller:  I saw the remake of the film (with Richard Thomas, Ernest Borgnine) either late in middle school or early in high school - can’t remember which - and had always intended on reading the book.  As fate would have it, my favorite narrator of all time narrated the audiobook, so I was off.  As is everything with Frank Muller, in my humble opinion, it was perfect

#2 Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, Narrated by Will Patton:  My wife and I listened to this as we drove all over Prince Edward Island during our summer vacation while the kiddies watched countless DVDs in the back… with their headphones on of course.  Besides simply loving this follow up to The Shining and how King had Dan Torrence grow up, *the amount of RVs on the road wherever we went made this quite the disturbing listening experience… in a GREAT way!.  *You’d get that remark if you read/heard the story.  Definitely one of King’s best in recent years.

#3 The Forgers by Bradford Morrow, Narrated by R.C. Bray:  Please don’t mistake my having narrated this book as a factor in labelling this as one of my favorites of 2014.  It’s totally due to Bradford Morrow’s writing.  His language is simply beautiful and I can only hope I did it justice.



Favorite Audiobook Series of 2014


Ellery Queen Mysteries


 
   Favorite Narrator of 2014

  I wish I could say that I’ve been listening to this narrator all along, but my first experience hearing Robert Fass was during the Listener’s Lounge at this year’s APAC.  I wish I could remember the exact bit he read but I was entranced.  He’s just so natural.  Ever since - I’ve been a huge fan!



✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵




    ​


Narrator: Jeffrey Kafer
Twitter Handle: ​ @jeffreykafer​






Top Audiobooks of 2014

 #1 ​ Remedy For Love by Bill Roorbach, narrated by me. Such a different take on the "Romance" genre that it doesn't seem like a romance. It's got shades for action, some wonderful insight into the human mind, and a unique, lyrical writing style. All set in an impending doom scenario.​

#2​ The Beam by Sean Platt and Johnny Truant, narrated by a full cast (including me). I have a very small role in this epic sci-fi dystopian tale. It's so deep and complex that I can't even begin to describe it in a sentence or two. For fans of the genre, it's a must-listen.
#3  ​Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, narrated by Will Patton - ​Stephen King steps out of the horror mold and writes a fairly straight-forward police procedural. but with anything King, it's not a typical episode of CSI. Filled with interesting characters and King's style of prose, fans of the genre and the author won't be disappointed.

#4  ​Origins of a D-list Supervillain by Jim Bernheimer, narrated by me - I love Jim's work. He is a master of the snarky sarcastic un-hero. And in this prequel to the bestselling Confessions of a D-list Supervillain, the un-hero is actually a 4th rate villain, trying to make his way in the world of being a bad guy. Fans of comics will enjoy this take from the other side of the cape and spandex.

​#5  Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch, narrated by Paul Michael Garcia - Soon to be a TV show on Fox, this is a story of a man stuck in a town in the Pacific northwest. Telling any more about this thriller would amount to spoilers. If you like mysteries and thrillers, listen to this once BEFORE you watch the show.​



    Favorite Narrator of 2014

Since I can't vote for myself, I give a shout to my pal and rising audiobook star R. C. Bray. He gets kudos (and earphones and audio noms) for his reading of The Martian. But just don't tell him I said that or his head will never fit inside the doorway.​



✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵





Narrator: Peter Berkrot




Top Audiobooks of 2014

And for the most part the reason I love these books so much are the paring of a great narrator with a great story.  So in no particular order, my favorite listens of 2014 are...


#1  THE GOOD LORD BIRD By James McBride. Narrated by Michael Boatman (Historical Fiction)

#2  THE TWELVE by Justin Cronin. Narrated by Scott Brick (Science Fiction: Part Two of a trilogy that began with THE PASSAGE)

#3  DOCTOR SLEEP by Stephen King. Narrated by Will Patten (Horror)

#4  DIVERGENT (followed immediately by INSURGENT and ALLLEGIANT) by Veronica Roth. Narrated by Emma Galvin (Young Adult Science Fiction)

#5  THE STARLING PROJECT by Jeffrey Deaver. Narrated by Alfred Molina and a cast of 30 playing 80 characters. Audio Drama produced by Audio Comics) This January 2105 AudioFile EarPhones winner is the only project on the list I was involved with, playing about 8 characters. This whole thing was produced and recorded like a film with each scene blocked for a massive area mic. I kept referring to it as the shooting schedule. And as a listener I found it riveting.


Favorite Audiobook Cover for 2014

 
THE BEST COVER IS WITHOUT A DOUBT (also one of my favorites of 2014 but I didn’t want to include my own narration on the list) is:
CHASING THE SUN by Natalia Sylvester. I would love to do a whole room and design a wardrobe based on the colors on the cover. 


Favorite Audiobook Series of 2014
My favorite series bar none is one I narrated. Referred to as THE LAST POLICEMAN Trilogy, and written by Ben. H. Winters, it follows police detective Hank Palace during the last days of the world. The first book won a Hugo Award. The second, COUNTDOWN CITY won a Philip K. Dick award and the third and final installment came out in July 2014. WORLD OF TROUBLE is destined to win more awards. It’s a brilliant final installment an I have only felt this close to a character when acting on stage.

Favorite Narrator of 2014
The best narrator of 2014 is of course, Edward Herrmann, a brilliant actor and lovely gentleman who passed away on New Years Eve. I have been a fan of his since his television appearance on MASH in the 1970’s and although I’ve not heard his books, I will begin immediately, starting with UNBROKEN.






No comments: